ABU DHABI // Emiratis in New York were urged to avoid public places and exercise caution on Sunday after 29 people were left injured following an explosion.
The UAE consulate in New York issued the warning via its Twitter page adding that the city was responding to the explosion, which took place in the Chelsea neighbourhood in Manhattan.
“We are following the events closely,” it said in a message to its citizens. “Please ensure compliance with security authorities.”
People were advised to contact 911 in case of emergency in the United States or the UAE consulate in New York on (646) 630-2575.
Authorities in the US called the blast an “intentional act” although there was no terrorist connection.
Bill de Blasio, Mayor of New York, said a second site was also being investigated.
The blast happened in a crowded area with many restaurants on West 23rd street. Although officials said no evacuations were necessary, witnesses said the explosion blew out the windows of businesses and scattered debris in the area.
It is not the first time Emiratis have been urged to exercise caution while abroad.
Earlier this summer, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation advised its citizens not to wear national dress when travelling overseas, for their own safety.
The advice followed an incident at a hotel in Ohio in which an Emirati businessman was forcibly detained by armed police after a hotel employee said he had pledged allegiance to ISIL.
Last year, Emiratis planning to visit Europe were also urged to log their travel details at the Ministry’s website as the European Union struggled to cope with the mass influx of migrants into Schengen states and authorities tightened some border crossings.
Source: uae news