Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphones pulled off UAE market after battery fires

The Consumer Protection Department at the Ministry of Economy has pulled 19,000 defective Samsung Note 7 smartphones off the market, The National’s Arabic sister newspaper Aletihad reported. Hashem Al Nuaimi, director of the Consumer Protection Department, said they have also directed the South Korean company to compensate consumers in the UAE by replacing their devices […]

The Consumer Protection Department at the Ministry of Economy has pulled 19,000 defective Samsung Note 7 smartphones off the market, The National’s Arabic sister newspaper Aletihad reported.

Hashem Al Nuaimi, director of the Consumer Protection Department, said they have also directed the South Korean company to compensate consumers in the UAE by replacing their devices with new fault-free mobiles of the same model, after the devices were found to have defective batteries that might catch fire while charging.

New devices are expected to be on the market within days.

Mr Al Nuami likewise called on current Note 7 owners to refer to the outlet they purchased the device from, register their names to receive a replacement phone and urged them to refrain from using the ones they currently own as the defect can cause the battery to explode during charging.

Samsung announced a global recall of its topselling Note 7 model on September 2 after there had been 35 cases reported of devices where the batteries had caught fire and exploded.

It may spend US$1 billion to replace all of the 2.5 million Note 7 phones that were shipped since they went on sale two weeks ago.

business@thenational.ae

Follow The National’s Business section on Twitter

Source: Business

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *