DUBAI // The man accused of raping and killing an 8-year-old boy has denied being at the scene of the crime the night the child was sexually assaulted and strangled.
The 48-year-old Jordanian, who is facing the death penalty, told Dubai Criminal Court he was not in Al Mamzar – and security camera footage would prove it.
In an earlier hearing, he had admitted the rape and murder of Obaida Al Aqrabawi, from Jordan, but denied kidnapping the boy.
In June, he stood before a packed court and admitted he strangled Obaida in Al Mamzar after raping him. “It happened,” he told judges
Then today, he told Dubai Criminal Court he did not confess to CID to the murder of Obaida.
He also told the court he did not take police to the crime scene, but was in fact taken to the scene by police and asked if “the place reminded him of anything”, he said.
“Al Mamzar is full of cameras and can prove my car was not seen there, your honour,” he said.
He also said he was a patient undergoing treatment for mental health issues in his home country.
He said: “I have a file as a patient in Al Rashid mental hospital in Jordan and you can contact them to make sure,” said the suspect.
Last week, prosecutors described the defendant as “a monster hiding behind a human face”.
Judges heard Chief Prosecutor Dr Ali Al Hosani describe a “hideous and horrible crime” that “shocked the nation”.
“This crime violated all the noble values of our community,” Dr Al Hosani said.
The defendant is charged with kidnapping a child, threats and physical abuse, rape and premeditated murder, drinking alcohol without a licence and driving under the influence of alcohol.
Obaida was last seen about 6pm on May 20 in front of his father’s garage in Sharjah’s industrial area, where he also lived.
The Jordanian boy’s body was found by Academic City Road in Al Warqa, Dubai, on May 22.
The verdict is expected on August 15.
More to follow.
Source: uae news