Camels die after eating pesticide-contaminated grass in Western Region

ABU DHABI // Fifteen camels died in the Western Region after eating grass contaminated with pesticides while grazing alongside a road on a farm. The Abu Dhabi Food Control Authority announced that the camels had died from eating the grass and not from feed distributed to farmers. Owners had previously reported the sudden deaths of […]

ABU DHABI // Fifteen camels died in the Western Region after eating grass contaminated with pesticides while grazing alongside a road on a farm.

The Abu Dhabi Food Control Authority announced that the camels had died from eating the grass and not from feed distributed to farmers.

Owners had previously reported the sudden deaths of the camels, which were worth about Dh3.5 million, reported Aletihad, the Arabic-language sister paper of The National. The camels had shown signs of weakness, atrophy, fatigue and loss of appetite prior to their deaths.

Samples taken from the camels revealed the cause of death.

Meanwhile, more than 60 sickened camels are gradually improving with treatment, said Mubarak Al Atash Al Masoori, one of the camel owners. He called on people who collect grass to feed to camels to first make sure the grass has not been contaminated with pesticides.

The food control authority said it is responsible for only the feed it distributes, which is subject to quality controls to ensure it contains all the nutrition that camels need.

It reminded breeders to buy feed from trusted sources to ensure the safety of the animals, and said warehouses where feed is kept should be regularly cleaned and kept free of insects.

newsdesk@thenational.ae

Source: uae news

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *